Gas Awareness: Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that kills, unless detected early. CO kills by displacing the oxygen in your blood. The Human Body requires oxygen for the burning of fuel (food) to provide it with the energy that allows our cells to live and function.

Oxygen makes up approximately 21% of the atmosphere and enters our lungs when we breathe. In our lungs the oxygen combines with hemoglobin in the blood (oxyhemoglobin) and is carried in the blood stream throughout the body where it releases oxygen to the cells. CO is dangerous because it bonds more tightly to the hemoglobin than oxygen does. When CO combines with hemoglobin, the hemoglobin's ability to combine with oxygen is eventually lost.

As the carboxyhemoglobin concentration rises, your body begins to suffocate from the inside out, initially causing flu-like symptoms, then headache, drowsiness, confusion, unconsciousness, brain damage and ultimately DEATH! Individuals who are at greatest risk are unborn babies, infants, young children, senior citizens, or any one with coronary or respiratory problems.

According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), more than 2,500 people will die and over 100,000 will suffer from serious injuries over the next ten years due to CO poisoning.







Sources of Carbon Monoxide at Home

CO is created by the incomplete combustion of any fossil fuel and can originate from malfunctioning appliances including furnaces, stoves, ovens and water heaters - that are operated by burning fossil fuels such as natural or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas, oil, wood, or coal, etc. When malfunctioning appliances are not adequately ventilated, the amount of CO in the air may rise to a level that can cause illness or even DEATH!

OTHER SOURCES
  • Clothes Dryers
  • Unvented space heaters using propane or kerosene
  • Blocked fireplace chimney, closed or partially closed flue
  • Operating fuel burning engines such as cars, lawnmowers and generators in a closed attached garage
Click here to view a graphical interpretation of major
potential sources of CO


Guard Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

CARBON MONOXIDE is a leading cause of unintentional poisoning deaths. Due to today's more energy efficient homes, the first line of defense is to have your home heating systems, fuel burning appliances, flues and chimneys checked regularly. In addition, install at least one S-TECH Carbon Monoxide Alarm near sleeping areas. For extra protection, place a CO Alarm near any area where the CO may be produced.


Installation of Carbon Monoxide Alarm:

The density of Carbon Monoxide at 20 C (68 C) is 0.96716 which is slightly lighter than the density of air (1.00). However, at 0 C or 32 F the density is increased to 1.250 which is much heavier than air. Practically speaking, placing the CO Alarm high or low is not a major concern at room temperature. CO permeates a room much like the scent of perfume dispersing uniformly in all directions and in effect engulfs a room. Install your CO Alarm within 40 ft of all rooms used for sleeping purposes.


A Reliable Carbon Monoxide Alarm:

Be sure that you only purchase a CO Alarm which is tested, listed and labelled with the UL2034 standard for residential Carbon Monoxide Alarm as recommended by The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). An S-TECH CO Alarm will not confuse you unnecessarily with false alarms because of over sensitivity, or endanger your life because of a slow response. S-TECH CO Alarms are manufactured employing a reliable engineering design, top quality components & stringent quality controls. This results in a highly accurate and reliable product. Our units are tested in the presence of CO before being shipped from our factory.


Carbon Monoxide Alarm Rating By A Consumer Evaluation Group:

S-TECH Carbon Monoxide Alarms have been tested by a consumer evaluation group in North America together with other CO Alarms in the market. S-TECH has been highly recommended and rated amongst the TOP THREE in three consecutive years, from 1996 to 1998.

For more information, please call customer service at
1-800-203-7987




BACK TO TOP


BACK TO TOP


BACK TO TOP


S-TECH
1495 DENISON STREET, MARKHAM,
ONTARIO L3R 5H1
TEL:(905) 660-90661-800-203-7987
FAX:(905) 660-9261
E-mail: info@s-tech.ca
Website: www.s-tech.ca


Stech is ISO 9001 Compliant